Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Day of Rest?

At church over the summer, one of the pastors had shared a message about keeping the sabbath and how that was probably the most broken of the 10 commandments.  He challenged us to incorporate rest into our schedule and the value of taking a day of rest. 
I stored that challenge in my mind for the future since I knew with my busy routine, I could use the challenge to discipline myself to schedule rest into my life. 
Since mid-September, I have been trying to figure out what day should be my sabbath day.  I know people typically do Sundays but weekends have been notorious for filling up with workshops and classes.  I tried Monday but that didn't seem to work well.
I've figured out that Wednesday is really the best sabbath day for me.  It just seems to naturally make sense since I go to a program at a community church that has a crafting and tea time. It's a very calm and restful environment.  I can then use the rest of the day to do little mundane things and in the evenings all the kids go to a program so often hubby and I can go for a quick date night dinner.
Here's the question I've been wondering: what if my hobby is my work and my work is my hobby?  My "job" as a Stampin' Up! demonstrator is something I do because I enjoy stamping.  Am I not allowed to stamp on my day of rest?  But what if it's stamping that makes me feel happy and rested?  I didn't want to be too legalistic but at the same time, I didn't want to blur the definition too much so that Wednesday becomes just like any other day.
I have a workshop this weekend and I had in my mind to do a little birthday tag since apparently many of the guests are moms of young kids.  I have been really wanting to sit down to design this tag but haven't had time...until today.  My "day of rest".  Aarrgh.  Should I do it? Should I not?  Oh the delimma!  Is it work?
I decided to try to take a nap instead.  Unfortunately it wasn't one of those beautiful, long 2 hour naps.  I think I was too worried I would forget to pick up the kids after school even though I had an alarm clock on.  So then I woke up and wanted to stamp that tag but I told myself that I'm supposed to be resting.  So, since my neck/back was bugging me, I took a hot bath.  Are you getting the picture?  I was trying so hard to rest on my sabbath day, it was stressing me out that I wasn't doing what I really wanted to do which was make that tag.  I was even imagining what stamps I would use and what paper. 
I finally gave up after the bath and went and did what I really wanted to do and what would make me happy.  It took only 15 minutes of playing to get something that I was happy with.  I knew I would use that big top birthday DSP and of course fox and friends.




I think my rule for my sabbath days is to avoid doing things that will make me feel busy and rushed and stressed and instead do things that make me feel rested and closer to God.  I think stamping for fun (as opposed to stamping in stress...like I've got to come up with 5 different projects for a stamp a stack tommorrow) is allowed on my sabbath day; especially if not stamping stresses me out!  Grin.

I know I am not the only one who has a busy, crazy life.  In fact, I know many of you have a much busier life that I do.  Maybe you can consider treating yourself to a sabbath day.  A day to rest.  It is good for the soul.  And if you decide to stamp on your resting day, I won't mind.  Send me a picture! 

1 comment: