Saturday, July 30, 2022

Chicoutimi Week 4!

Well friends, I just finished my fourth week here! 

This past week definitely felt a little better.  I think I'm sleeping better and I kind of have a hang of the schedule now so I'm not so confused all the time. 

I don't think there was any major excitement this past week (or maybe I didn't take enough photos) 

I've decided that Friday's are the day to do something different after school. 

I hadn't yet had any Poutine here so that was my mission Friday last week. 

My teacher said that Chez Bebe was the place to go. 

It was a perfect Friday dinner for me: 


I don't know if you can see the sign on the restaurant: 
It says: 
Le meilleur poutine en ville. 
(The best poutine in the city) 

This sounded like a challenge to me! How do I know if it's the best poutine in town if I haven't tried any others? It was certainly very good.  The cheese curds were fresh and squeaky so I was very happy. 

I was determined to try other poutine before leaving Quebec! 

Wednesday I had a massage appointment and there was a restaurant right next to the massage clinic. 

I was very familiar with this restaurant since it is on the bus route home from school.  I love eating potatoes and this restaurant is called 

La Bonne Patate

(loosely translated, the good potato) 

On their sign it says: 

La meilleure en Ville (The best in the city) 

If you know me, you can understand why this restaurant would intrigue me.  I love potatoes.  It's my favourite food!  For a restaurant to claim that they have the best potatoes in the city means I have to eat there!  
I have eaten a lot of potatoes so I couldn't wait to try the poutine at this restaurant. 


I have to say, unfortunately, I don't think this restaurant has the best potatoes.  I found them a bit greasy. 

Nonetheless, I very much enjoyed my poutine before my massage appointment. 

The massage therapist was lovely and we had a pleasant conversation and without even knowing about my poutine/potato journey so far, she told me I needed to go to La Baie (a neighboring town) because that is where they have the best poutine. 

I stored this information in my brain because with just a week left I didn't know if I could make it to the Baie since it's a long bus ride away and the city buses are not very frequent around here. 

During the week I was already planning my Friday after school outing.  I asked a few of my classmates what they were planning to do this weekend and asked if anyone was interested in going out for dinner Friday night. 

There was a bit of interest but no one knew where to go.  Jasmine in my class said she had heard there was a Moroccan restaurant and I told her that sounded great! I told her she needed to research how to get there by bus and all the details so we could be ready to go right after school this Friday. 

Friday morning Jasmine didn't have any further info.  She didn't know the name of the restaurant so I asked our teacher if she knew the name of this Moroccan restaurant. She gave us the name and at lunch I tried to make a reservation but they said they didn't take reservations.  

I'm imagining an elegant sit down dinner with tablecloth and attentive servers. 

Friday right after our afternoon activity I went straight to the obvious meeting spot: the west doors of the university that face the bus station. Everyone who I had spoken to during the week about going out for Moroccan food arrived except Jasmine (who was the one who suggested the restaurant in the first place) 

In the end we left without her because the buses don't come frequently and we didn't want to miss the bus. Sadly I didn't have any sort of contact info for her!  

Using the GPS on my phone, we found the restaurant. 

It was the dodgy building in the bus terminal.  I killed myself laughing. 

I had seen this building many times at the bus terminal and didn't even realize it was a restaurant.  I thought it was maybe a building with dirty toilets or somewhere for the bus drivers to hang out and smoke.  

My vision of an elegant sit down meal with tablecloths and servers vanished immediately. 

When my friends started entering the building, I'm trying to yell (somewhat discreetly) "is it clean?"

As usual the whole thing is more hilarious to me because this is all happening in French. (Hein!!! Est-ce que c'est propre??!!!)

In the end the food was fabulous although I wouldn't really call it Moroccan.  It was a very typical kind of diner that you might find in Toronto serving falafel, chicken shawarma etc. where you order at the counter. 

Here's my roommate Fabienne enjoying her meal: 


There was actually a table with a great view of the river so we sat there and enjoyed our food. 


We took a detour when walking home so we could enjoy the river and scenery



Walking home is not really fun due to the giant hills (Chicoutimi hills are something else!) but we had just missed the bus so walking it was. 

I arrived home exhausted but happy! 

We are thinking this weekend to head to La Baie to try out that famous Poutine! 

I'm really missing the family. 

One more week and I'll be home! 

I should probably start studying for my final exam but this weekend I feel like stamping! LOL

Thanks for dropping in! 

 


Take Advantage of Saleabration before it's gone! 

Learn about Saleabration HERE





Any Orders $100 or more will receive the current month Global Creative Tutorial Bundle FREE!  That's 12 written tutorials with videos. 

            July  Focus: He's the Man/Brewed for You Suite












You can also purchase these tutorial bundles that include written and video instruction
Payment
 




Shop online 24-7 or contact me to help you place your order

Need help shopping online? Watch this video HERE













No comments:

Post a Comment