Thursday, September 22, 2011

A card matters


So, it was my husband's 40th birthday this past Saturday. I had made sure my day was clear way in advance because I wasn't sure what we were going to do. I had seriously considered a big birthday party with a caterer but it actually turned out to be more expensive than I thought so in talking with Kevin, we decided he would go up north with some guy friends and hang out and do guy things: go karting, eating chips, playing video games etc.

I was sooo busy with back to work, back to school and stampin' workshops that I decided to put off making his birthday card. I put it off not only because I was busy but frankly, I didn't think he would care if he got a handmade card or not. I mean, when I put my mind to doing something, I can usually get it done so if I had really wanted to get his card done in time, I could have. I just would've had to stay up a little later one night or something but truthfully, I figured I was the one who cared about handmade cards, not him. I figured he wouldn't really notice the omission.

I was wrong. He definitely noticed that he didn't get a card on the day of his birthday. Sigh. I tried to explain that I could've given him a stock handmade card from my stash but I really wanted to make one special for him and I had in my mind what I wanted to make but just didn't get around to it. (Basically, I was trying to explain that he was definitely special even though he didn't get a card from me.) Yes, it sounds as pathetic an excuse as it was.

Anyway, here's the card I made...a few days late. A very simple gift card holder using two colours: soft suede and more mustard. The dsp is the new spice cake pattern in the holiday mini. The stamp set is called "daring adventure".




My husband had bought a new bike over the summer so I figured the mountain equipment co-op gift card would be perfect so he could buy bike accessories.




So, the morale of the story is: even when you think your handmade gifts are not valued by someone else, maybe those gifts mean more than you think!

1 comment:

  1. Stephen pretends he's not that interested in my card-making and sometimes I don't think he gets it. However, you are absolutely right. He actually put my card on display, which he never usually does.

    ReplyDelete