Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Words of Affirmation

Last week hubby and I went to a marriage seminar.  The speaker was Dr. Gary Chapman, a counselor, pastor and author from North Carolina.  The things we learned from the seminar could be applied not just to our marriage but to our other relationships as well!


Dr. Chapman wrote a book called The Five Love Languages.  It was something I had read years ago.  The general idea is that people have different love languages and relationships can be strengthened if you understand each other's love language.  I believe the 5 languages are: Physical 'touch, Words of Affirmation, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Quality Time.

The seminar was a good reminder that although I can wholeheartedly love someone, they may not feel my love simply because I am not expressing it in a way that is understood by them.

There is a simple survey that people can fill out to find out their love language.  After the seminar, I came home and asked my kids to fill out the survey.

I pegged my youngest right away.  He is always asking for hugs and snuggles and cuddles so I knew physical touch was his primary love language.

I was more in the dark about the other two kids and I think it's harder when they are teenagers since they are trying to be grown up and act that they don't need parents at all. (insert rolling eyes here)

Survey results from both of the older kids showed Words of Affirmation as their primary love language so I'm trying to be more intentional about sharing positive words with them.

Last week my oldest had his driving exam so right before he left for school I thought I should quickly write a note to encourage him.

Here's what I made.  It probably took 5 minutes because I was madly trying to give it to him before he left the house.  That's why the stamping looks a bit sketchy.  :-)
Thank goodness for circle punches.  They make everything easy.


My son said thank you and threw it on his desk before he left for school.  I have no idea if he even read it!
Teenagers!
Anyway, he did pass his driving test!

When was the last time you made a card to share some words of affirmation with a friend or family members?

Nothing beats the handmade touch if you ask me!

Thanks for dropping in today! I've pasted the supply list below.  Clicking on any of the images shold take you to my online store.




Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment