Friday, August 5, 2011

The fun embellishment





I had a hilarious day yesterday. First, hubby went to work so I decided that today was the day to take the children on an adventure. We went to Burd's Fishing. I don't know what posessed me to do this because I don't know how to fish and the children have never been fishing. However, I read the website and it looked like a very family friendly place where experience was not necessary. The staff were very helpful and suggested that we fish from the "medium" pond because the small fish pond was pretty low in stock and we probably wouldn't catch anything. We learned how to put the worm on the hook (gross) and learned how to cast. We got one hook in the water and I gave the rod to my daughter to hold so I could get another one ready for my son. In that time, a fish had already started tugging on my daughter's rod. Luckily she held on to the rod and with my help and the staff at the establishment, we brought in a large fish. My daughter was at first pleased at her contribution to the catch but then quickly became disgusted by the fish flapping in the water and then seeing the staff member grab it with a net and flop the bleeding, slippery fish onto the ground. She refused to go near the water again. My son was jealous that he hadn't caught a fish yet but that didn't last long. Soon we had another huge fish added to our basket. Did I mention that we are obligated to keep everything we catch? My eldest son was having a blast catching fish and promptly caught another one but he also was disgusted by the flopping, slippery mess. After 3 huge fish in just a short span of time, I told them that they needed to stop catching fish because I knew I had to pay by weight for each fish.


Here he is reeling in a big one.














After the fishing adventure, I became a woman on a mission. What was I going to do with the fish? I don't know how to cook fresh fish!!!! My children don't eat fish!!!!


I went home and told the children not to bother me. (as a side note, I overheard my daughter telling my youngest that when she grows up to be a mommy, she will NEVER take her children fishing.) I then "studied" on the internet. I watched You Tube videos on deboning and cooking fish, I saw grown men kissing raw fish, (and they think stampers are strange...) I googled recipes on cooking fish...


All this studying was pretty pointless. There was no way I could learn to be a fish cooking expert plus I had to have the food ready before I headed out to a workshop that evening.


I decided to steam one fish chinese style and bbq the other one western style. I was pretty pleased with how it looked considering I didn't know what i was doing. My dad assumed someone else had prepared the fish for me it looked so official. Here's one fish ready to go on the grill.






This just goes to show that a little embellishment goes a long way.


Speaking of embellishment...(yes, this post does get to stamping...) here is a card that I demo'd at the workshop last night.






It uses the new Easy Events stamp set. I was so proud of myself that I thought of the idea to put a glimmer brad on the top of the cupcake. I love embellishments and buy them all because frankly they are just beautiful to look at. I am well aware that a perfectly placed embellishment on a card can make the difference between nice and wow but most of the time I can't figure out where that perfect place is. Anyway, I was so happy that this poppy parade glimmer brad found a perfect home. The workshop was so fun. One lady who had never stamped before was so happy with her make n take creation that she kissed it. TWICE! I absolutely love the workshop fun and magic. The hostess walked away with three free stamp sets too!

No comments:

Post a Comment