Monday, July 18, 2011

Stampin Up!: Not a job but a family






When I thought about what I would blog about regarding the last day of convention, what really came to mind is how being a part of Stampin' Up! is really like being a part of a family. Everytime I attend a Stampin' Up! event, the family aspect really hits home. Here are some of my favourite memories:



All the dancing and fun that goes on in the main stage hall as we wait for the presentation to begin. These are girls doing the limbo under their team banner.





These are people dancing to YMCA. The Stampin' Up! staff are not too cool to join in. (I bet you've never seen people and managers dancing while holding swap cards!)






I think Stampin' Up! events have such a positive, family feel because the Stampin' Up! staff are so authentic and fun and down to earth. They mingle among us "commoners" and chat and take pictures without any hesitation. To give you some examples, the pie eating contest that I played where I got chocolate all over my face and hair, was also played by the members of the corporate team. My pie eating partner Dave, is in charge of all of Stampin' Up's international managers and he happily played along with the pie game. He didn't get any prizes though! All week when we saw each other we would refer to each other as "pie eating partners". Here's a picture of us all cleaned up.
It totally impresses me how the corporate team are so accessible and participate so completely in various activities.






Here's a picture of me with Sara Douglass, (daughter of the CEO, Shelli Gardner). She was behind us when we were entering a contest to try and guess where the next incentive trip was. When we turned around as saw who it was, of course we tried to nag her to tell us but her lips were sealed until it would be announced at awards night. I then excitedly told her about my journey since I last had dinner with her a year and a half ago at the Workshop of a Lifetime and that I had earned the incentive trip this year. She actually screamed she was so happy for me.












Another example is the CFO (chief financial officer), Scott. I actully can not recall his last name because we always call him Scott. He was helping out at my make n take session. He ran around helping everyone open their smooch top coat bottles because the lids were so tight. He also dressed up as Santa Claus and handed out prizes. How many company CFO's do this sort of thing?
The demonstrator is so happy at her free prize she's hugging the CFO! I would have too! Free stampin' up product is the best kind of product!






Okay, I think you get the point but I can't help but share one more example. Rich Jutkins is the president and Chief Operating Officer (COO). He was walking along when a demonstor who was new to Stampin' Up! and didn't know who he was, asked him to help her move some chairs. He of course happily obliged although he was probably rushing off somewhere.



Here's a picture of Rich Jutkins holding his daughter. There is a long story about his daughter which I had partially learned about at Leadership. They adopted her and shortly after learned that she was missing half her brain and therefore had very little use of one side of her body and obviously was not meeting the regular childhood milestones. He was thankful for all the kind words and prayers so he brought his daughter on stage so that we could see how well she is doing. She is now able to wave and talk a little bit. It was so touching.




He explained that when we focus only on numbers and tangible things such as how many dollars of sales or how much money we make, we can lose sight of the really important intangible things. For example, his daughter is technically in the 1st percentile in her abilities but that number doesn't reflect the joy that she brings their family every day.



For myself, I never want to lose sight of the joy that crafting and relating with my friends brings to me.



If any of you have been wondering about becoming a demonstrator, I hope my experiences at Convention have opened your eyes a little bit. I know that people often say they could never be a demonstrator because they can't do what I do or they can't talk in big groups or they don't have time. I'll leave you with the Stampin' Up! mission statement which says nothing about selling stuff or being outgoing or anything. Here it is:

If you want to talk further about the demonstrator opportunity, please contact me because there is a starter kit promotion this month. A mini starter kit is available for $119.

I am back at home and need to unpack. It's great being home and seeing the kids. Can't wait to catch up with you all soon.







1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Gen! I’ve been following all your fun activities through the week, and I’m so glad that you had a wonderful time!

    I can’t wait to see all the card swaps and hear more of your adventures at our next club meeting -- I can’t make the Thursday catalogue party since I have baseball :(.

    ReplyDelete